Author Topic: Looking for a school  (Read 3215 times)

Toots423

Looking for a school
« on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:46 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some input. 
After volunteering for about 4 years at the local community theatre, here in Fargo, ND, I finally took an opportunity to stage manage again.  I forgot how much I really love it.  The production was Oklahoma!  I had a cast of 40 and a crew of 10, also all volunteers.  I was so proud of all the hard work everyone put in.  The show was in rehearsal for 2 months and ran for 2 weeks.  I got goosebumps everynight of the show.  They inspired me to follow the dream I had 10 years ago when I graduated from high school.  I want to be a professional stage manager. 
I've been out of school for about seven or eight years.  I didn't finish college.  It's just not an environment I like.  And I know I don't want to go for a 4 year degree.  So I'm looking for a accelerated program.  I'd really appreciate any input anyone can give me. 

Thanks,
Jeremiah. 

LisaEllis

Re: Looking for a school
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2007, 12:14 am »
I don't know that you can find a degree less than 4 years, but it sounds like you do want a concentrated conservatory program.

North Carolina School of the Arts, Webster University, and DePaul University are all schools that are conservatory.  They will award a BFA, so more of your time is spent in theatre classes than elsewhere.  Depending on your resume and community experience, you might not need to take some of the classes, but it's hard to "test out" of arts classes...

Good luck looking into schools!  I know that at NCSA there are often "non-traditional" students in D&P  (read my post in that thread for more info...)

riotous