Author Topic: Graduate School Question  (Read 5502 times)

swellanore

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Graduate School Question
« on: Feb 27, 2006, 02:39 pm »
So I am looking for school to get my MFA is Stage Management but I'm finding it hard to locate school that offers this degree program? Any suggestion? I would like to shoot for the top, but I cannot find which schools are better then others. Did anyone to a school they could recommend? A school with great connections for future employment?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Check Old Posts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:48 pm »
You should check old posts as we have covered this before.

Which school is the best depends on which school is the best for you (you skill level know, your interests in where you want to go, etc, etc).  There is no best school.

Look at the following schools . . .
Yale
UCSD
UCI
Cal Arts
U of Deleware
Rutgers
University of Alabama/Alabama Shakespeare
CC of Music
UM/Kansas City
UI Urbana Champagne

I have links to some of these schools on my web site:

http://www.stagemanager.net/Resources.html

I can answer questions about UCSD, as that is where I went to school, and many people can offer advice, but be warey of anyone saying one school is better then the other with knowing more about you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Graduate School Question
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:30 pm »
I'm currently in my last semester of grad school at Wayne State University in Detroit-- it's a 7 season rotating rep.  3 year program.  If you're interested in more information, let me know-- I'll be happy to fill you in.  I've enjoyed myself here and learned a great deal, but I will say it is not for everyone here.

~Nikki :)
Done and Done

KateMonster

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://
Graduate School Question
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:38 pm »
I don't know what area you're looking in, but I'm pretty sure Boston University has it too.  I could be wrong, but check it out!

Also, question to anyone... do you think you need to get a masters in Stage Management, or is it just a nice addition to have?  Can you get good and/or professional jobs without it?

Dre2387

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Girl From Nashville, EBE Ensemble, NYC
Re: Graduate School Question
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:37 am »
Yeah, i have the same question.  Is it really worth it to get a masters in stage management?  and how long should you wait after graduating to get it?  or should you go straight from undergrad to grad school?
Andrea

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:09 am »
There's an awesome new child board in the Student & Novice forum dedicated to discussion of graduate and undergraduate SM studies.
It will include discussions related to your question, swellanore, regarding which schools are best. There are several ongoing discussions, andrea, about your many big questions about graduate school. Check it out!
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007, 02:06 pm by ljh007 »

PSMREL

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:07 pm »
I'm currently in my last semester of grad school at Wayne State University in Detroit-- it's a 7 season rotating rep.  3 year program.  If you're interested in more information, let me know-- I'll be happy to fill you in.  I've enjoyed myself here and learned a great deal, but I will say it is not for everyone here.

~Nikki :)

I'd like to get in touch with you more directly (email would be nice) to talk about this school.

I am very interested in applying.

If you would be so kind, my email is PSMREL@hotmail.com

PSMREL†