Author Topic: Grad Schools for SM... tuition stipend?  (Read 8772 times)

echayes12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Grad Schools for SM... tuition stipend?
« on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:24 pm »
Hello,

I haven't heard anything about this before, but I was wondering if there are any grad schools that provide a stipend for tuition for an SM graduate program. I've only heard about it in the music graduate programs.. but I didn't know if there was anything in stage management as well.

Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Grad Schools for SM... tuition stipend?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008, 02:41 pm »
Check out University of Iowa . . . when I was applying, they made a big deal about graduating with NO debt.

At UC SD, you pay tuition your first year, and then the rest of the time it was paid for you.  Again, that is when I was a student.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008, 04:47 pm »
As a graduate of the University of Iowa, I will second that. I was the LX RA for three years and that totally paid my tuition.

SMdrum

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Resident SM at Matrix Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:20 pm »
I've been applying to graduate schools recently and several of the MFA programs that I'm looking at will pay for your tuition.  Wayne State University offers assistantships to all grad students and pays for their tuition and fees.  They also give them medical and dental insurance.  CCM at University of Cincinnati offers scholarships and assistantships to select grad students.  All grad students at Carnegie Mellon receive a fellowship that covers part of their tuition. 

vbskeeby

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, MFA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:45 pm »
I went to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and I think all of us had tuition waivers.  And we had assistantships that paid our monthly stipend. 

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:09 am »
Most Canadian Universities do this as well. I don't know about colleges but when I was applying to grad schools they will give you GTA and TA positions in their undergrad classes to make up the difference. Don't bother with National Theatre School however they won't even let you work while there.
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

jman255

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The wonderful world of Chicago storefront
  • Current Gig: Profiles Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:43 pm »
DePaul University has a great program with Chicago Shakespeare. It's a 2 year ARTS leadership program where you work for Chicago Shakes full time while working toward your MFA from DePaul.

http://www.chicagoshakes.com/main.taf?p=4,5,1

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:31 am »
At UC SD, you pay tuition your first year, and then the rest of the time it was paid for you.  Again, that is when I was a student.

I could be wrong, Matthew, but my memory is that was only true for California residents who attended UCSD.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:00 pm »
All the out of state students, would become in-state by the second year - so the tuition could be paid by the state.  Otherwise, just the instate portion was paid.  Your first year tuition is paid as either in-state or out-of-state, but I do remember a big scramble for out-of-state students to become instate by the second year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

cbenvegn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2012, 06:34 pm »
It honestly just varies at each school...

I just researched grad schools/did the whole application  and they all offered different means of support.

I'm attending Carnegie so if you have questions about this specific program I can offer some insight!

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2012, 08:46 pm »
Beware of any information regarding graduate school funding right now. Being in the midst of all this, a lot is changing on both national and state funding sources around the country therefore throwing everything off. This is especially true in California.

For example, a huge portion of the funding offered to graduate students was in the form of subsidized loans, but this year those are not available anymore due to changes in financial aid on the federal level. Even places that offer assistantships or stipends often have limits on how many hours you can work in a quarter/semester (25% seems normal from what I've found) and outside gigs are incredibly useful to live comfortably. If you pick a location with a health entertainment sector you may have more options for jobs while in school.

I can only for sure speak for UCI, but funding is very good here. I will be graduating in June and am on track to graduate debt free. It is not hard to do if you keep up on your finances and take gigs throughout the year, which we are encouraged to do. First year you pay nothing (even for out of state students) and then you pay under $300 a quarter (3x a year) for fees.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

riotous