Author Topic: Grad school vs. intern  (Read 3343 times)

Shari88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Grad school vs. intern
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:37 am »
I am an junior undergraduate at SUNY NP. I can not decide whether I want to go to graduate school or intern for a few years and then go. I know if I intern I may not have health insurance but what other pros and cons are there for not going to graduate school right away? Thanks!
Best Wishes :)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Grad school vs. intern
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:22 pm »
A lot will depend on the REASONS you are considering getting a graduate degree.

I am a huge proponent of leaving your undergraduate education and getting some real world experience under your belt before you return to grad school.  I have some pretty strong reasons for this.

One, the job and lifestyle of a professional stage manager is vastly different then the world of stage managing a show in an educational setting.  But getting an internship or getting work experience, you are going to get a better sense of the job and the lifestyle that goes with it. 

After gaining experience and getting a sense of the real world requirements of the job, you will know what skills you are lacking – which will help you pick a grad school.  (If you do not what skills you are lacking, how do you pick a grad school.)

Also, grad schools, form my experience, favor accepting students that have some real world experience.  Also, in my experience, students that have more experience and maturity (the age factor) are more successful in grad school.
I also think having a year or two break from the academic world is nice . . . seven years straight for a BA/MFA combo is pretty harsh.

Now, the argument to go straight to grad school should also be considered.  One, having the momentum going helps launch you into grad school.  Two, once you get out of school and into the real world, it will be harder to put your career on pause and step back into the academic world.  Three, if you heart is set on getting a master’s degree (for whatever reason), you might get out into the real world and realize that you don’t need the degree . . . and then it’s really hard to go back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Shari88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Grad school vs. intern
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:33 pm »
Thank you for your advice.
Best Wishes :)

riotous