Author Topic: Going back to Grad School with Equity card?  (Read 3338 times)

clh4809

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Going back to Grad School with Equity card?
« on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hi all,

I have been out of undergrad for three years, and have a very strong desire to go back to school next fall and get my MFA. I've researched all the schools, chosen the programs that I am most interested in, and have began to prep for essays, etc.

I'm slightly concerned though, because I got my Equity card a little under two years ago. I've been consistently working, but I want to get my MFA because I really would like to eventually teach and the college level and meet new people/make new contacts. 

Has anyone here gone back to grad school after they became AEA? Did you find that universities were curious as to why you were "going backwards" (which I don't really believe, that's just what I've heard)? Did you find that this played a role in interviews/admission, either in a positive or negative way?  Also, did you have to get special permission from Equity to participate in university productions?

Thanks for the help!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Going back to Grad School with Equity card?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:52 am »
I know many people who went back to school with their Equity card.

I don't think it plays a huge part in the application process, although do prepared to answer some questions about it.

AEA allows you to work in an education environment if you are pursuing a degree, contact AEA for more specifics.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to Grad School with Equity card?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:45 am »
I've had my Equity card for 12 years and I'm in Grad School. I decided to go for the same reason you are going: to teach.
My unversity saw it as an advantage: they liked the fact that I had a few years of experience under my belt. I would be surprised if others saw it as a disadvantage. Besides, it's very difficult to find a teaching job without an MFA, so unversitites understand that.
I didn't have a problem with Equity, but contact your local office just in case.

Good luck!