Author Topic: Emerson/DePaul/Webster/Syracuse/Penn State?  (Read 12843 times)

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
Emerson/DePaul/Webster/Syracuse/Penn State?
« on: Sep 03, 2007, 08:27 pm »
I am applying to those schools listed above for BFA in Stage Management. I know that there are already topics on these schools and such, but I was wondering if anyone here goes to/went to any of those schools. I have already looked at them, now I am applying to them. If you have any tips/advice/info on applying, interviews, or just the program itself please let me know. Emerson has been really confusing, and I am still not sure what I am supposed to do in order to get an interview date (I emailed the admissions office and was told one thing, emailed the the person in charge of theater dept interviews and was told another thing, called admissions office and was told a third thing, emailed stage management student I met last year and was told a forth thing...).
The main thing I am trying to figure out now is the interviews. What is it like? I need an updated resumé and a prompt book? Anything else?
Any help/tips/advice/info would be great!
Thanks!  :)
~Shane
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2007, 10:07 pm by keepshanesane »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Emerson/DePaul/Webster/Syracuse/Penn State?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:52 am »
I went to Penn State.  I couldn't be happier with the education I received.  The Stage Management program is very well-rounded and you will take more classes in actual stage management than other undergrad programs I've seen.  The head of the program is also a stage manager by trade (broadway credits, off broadway, etc..), which I feel is extremely important.  Another very valuable thing is even though it is a BFA program, you still are required to take the same gen-eds as everyone else at the university. 

The atmosphere up there is amazing, so much fun (especially if you like football).  Tons of good parties and always something to do outside of the school of theatre.  In my four years there I always lived with non-theatre people to keep me grounded.  Feel free to PM me or grab me on AIM if you want to know more about PSU.

As for the interview, you'll find a couple similar threads on interviews around here and I think those really apply to pretty much any school you'll interview with.  The general gist of that thread was that people aren't expecting to see a professional stage manager walk into the interview; it's their job to mold you into a professional stage manager.  They want to see someone with potential.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:00 am »
PM me about Emerson. My girlfriend went there and then transfered.

-Courtney
-C-

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:01 am »
PM me about Emerson. My girlfriend went there and then transfered.

-Courtney

OH! and look at the SUNY Purchase conservatory while you're at it! I'm a senior there and its like 30min from NYC (plus, as I said, its a conservatory)
-C-

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2007, 10:27 am »
While I remain dubious about the value and and desireability of  BFAs in stage management in general, one thought about the above schools:

I have met more working (NYC) young actors from Syracuse over the last decade than any other school -- so they must be doing something right in their theatre program in general and a cadre of working actors would be a good ground level networking for an aspiring stage manager.

Loftyguy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:29 pm »
Hi there,

I work at Emerson, although not in that department if you'd like to contact me I can try to get you intouch with the proper people to speak with.

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:53 pm »
While I have not attended DePaul, I have worked with many DePaul SM students.  They come in to work at my theatre as my ASM.  I report back to their advisor-professor and they are given a grade.  I have also seen many DuPaul graduates (SMs) work when I go out to see theatre.

While I do not speak for them all, I can say with certainty that I have worked with 1 DePaul trained SM who was worth his salt.  When I have had rehearsals at DePaul (we needed extra space) and spoken with their SMs (who have their own office BTW), not a one of them was able to give me solid information on available space, furniture or time.  They seems a mismatched lot without much guidance.

Choose wisely - or do not choose at all - get out there and start ASMing, getting a paycheck.  Trial by fire.  You will learn a lot more about this job doing it, rather than learning about it.

I belive this is an intuitive field.  If you want to do it, you ahve probably been doing it and you already know how, you just need to practice; not pay $50K-$100: to practice what you can be DOING!!!!
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

Daz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Random Ramblings
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2007, 09:22 am »
I'm currently a sophomore SM major at Syracuse and I'm loving it and getting some really good experience.  If you want to know anything specific feel free to PM or e-mail me.
*Aude Sapere*
*Nosce te Ipsum*

If I could read your mind, I wouldn't need the headset

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:57 am »
Thank you everyone so far with your comments, they have been very helpful! I understand that you can't just learn stage management, you have to have experiences and learn by trial and error. When I started high school, I knew I wanted to go to college. Most people do not know what they want to major in when they get to college, and in this case I do.
Updates if you are really interested:
School-wise-I think I have figured out the application processes for all the schools, which is good.  :)
I looked at SUNY-Purchase last year, and with out going on a long rant, I had a bad experience when I visited and talked to (I think) the head of the department. Also, I didn't get the whole "Apply as a stage manager, then you have to declare your major again when you are a sophomore (I think)."
Syracuse-I also looked at it last year, I think I might have come into a rehearsal you were working on Daz. I really liked the program there.

In terms of my resume and prompt book, I met with the stage manager of the theater I had an internship at this summer, and she helped me out a lot. My resume is a lot cleaner and clearer now.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded! I love this site, everyone is so awesome!

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:41 am »
Thank you everyone so far with your comments, they have been very helpful! I understand that you can't just learn stage management, you have to have experiences and learn by trial and error. When I started high school, I knew I wanted to go to college. Most people do not know what they want to major in when they get to college, and in this case I do.
Updates if you are really interested:
School-wise-I think I have figured out the application processes for all the schools, which is good.  :)
I looked at SUNY-Purchase last year, and with out going on a long rant, I had a bad experience when I visited and talked to (I think) the head of the department. Also, I didn't get the whole "Apply as a stage manager, then you have to declare your major again when you are a sophomore (I think)."
Syracuse-I also looked at it last year, I think I might have come into a rehearsal you were working on Daz. I really liked the program there.

In terms of my resume and prompt book, I met with the stage manager of the theater I had an internship at this summer, and she helped me out a lot. My resume is a lot cleaner and clearer now.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded! I love this site, everyone is so awesome!

SUNY Purchase has had a HUGE admin change and whomever you spoke to may have given you the wrong impression. You don't actually declare a major twice. You interview as what you want to do and freshmen year is a bit of everything since most people have only tried one aspect of theatre and then sophmore year you start taking theatre classes. I won't say that freshmen isn't tedious for those who know what they wanna do but the other 3 years are so very worth it and the production value of the shows here is amazing. PM me if you have more questions. I'm a senior there now and I don't think I could've had a better experience. Even with the stuff that wasn't so good, I learned so much.
-C-

Idleuphoria

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2007, 05:31 pm »
I am a freshman and webster and I absolutely love it here. We open our first show next week, and we are in tech. I have never been happier, and I am learning a ton every day.

supershorty

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:08 pm »
I'm a sophomore at webster... freshman, which one are you?
-Katie Paige

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:00 pm »
Thank you everyone so far for all your help, its been great. I am hoping to get my college apps out by next week so I can schedule interviews soon. Quick question, a few of the schools I am looking at want letters of recommendations from people who have worked with me in theatre (in addition to letters from teachers at my school). Do I send this other set of letters to the theatre departments or bring them to the interview (unopened?) or both? Actually, thinking back, a few schools said to bring my prompt book, resume, and 2-3 letters from people who have worked with me. So do I bring unopened letters? Sorry for the long question.
For the two posters above who are going to Webster, I visited the campus last year, and really like Webster. However, I saw a show in the basement/black box theater, not on the main stage. Does that mean you guys can't work on shows on the main stage?

Thanks again  :)

mca

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:04 pm »
I would check with the department or admissions on those questions, since it'll be specific to the school.

supershorty

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2007, 05:51 pm »
We do shows on the mainstage... it's just a matter of scheduling. We do one mainstage show per semester.  This show has a very short run, however, due to the Rep (Repertory Theatre of St. Louis) schedule.
-Katie Paige

riotous