Author Topic: Compilation of grad schools  (Read 39546 times)

madkisso

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Compilation of grad schools
« on: Aug 05, 2008, 03:58 pm »
I went through all of the topics here and noticed that there were several ones on grad schools and in each, small lists or suggestions of grad schools.  As I am just beginning to look at what's out there, I was hoping to first compile a list and then research all of them to see which I like best.  I don't know if it is okay to start yet another topic on grad schools, but I was hoping to make a master list that I, and others, could refer to.  I know that I don't have all of them, I am really gathering from the posts in this forum, so if anyone sees one that I missed, please post and I can update.  Also, I have only included those in the US, but feel free to mention others too.  These are in no particular order.

Yale
UC San Diego
Univeristy of California, Irvine
Cal Arts
University of Delaware
Rutgers
University of Alabama (MFA Program on hold)
University of Missouri-Kansas City
University of Illinois at Urbana Champagne
University of Iowa
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Columbia
Boston University
Montclair State University

ETA - I don't know if I should include some of the places that offer general graduate degrees in theatre with a specialization in Stage Management because there may be a lot of them.  For now, though, here are a few that do just that:

Virginia Tech (EDIT: a member on page 2 of this thread notes that Virginia Tech does offer a specific MFA in Stage Management.)
Wayne State University
Rose Bruford College
University of Cincinnati
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009, 09:39 am by PSMKay »

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Compilation of grad schools
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2008, 06:18 pm »
You might want to double check on NYU.  I believe they do not have a Grad SM program as they usually hire AEA SM's.

madkisso

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2008, 07:29 pm »
Thanks.  I edited the post and took it off.  I garnered these names from posts I saw in this forum, but could have made mistakes in not only transcribing names but keeping everything straight.  So if anyone else sees any mistakes, please let me know.  Thanks again.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2008, 09:01 pm »
I'm going to sticky this for a quick reference for anyone who wants to quick list.  Thanks madkisso for the nice work!

Ebuckser

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 06:57 pm »
Please make sure to add Carnegie Mellon University- they have a grad program in Production Technology and Management, which can be Stage Management or Production Management or Technical Direction.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 07:15 pm »
University of Alabama's program may be hold for awhile . . . anyone interesting should check on the details.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2008, 02:14 pm »
University of Alabama has put their stage management program on temporary hold.  The Shakespeare Festival has discontinued their relationship with the university (don't know the details there). Since the shakespeare festival basically WAS the stage management program, they have just stopped offering the MFA until they can figure out how to restructure it.  I think that's the basic jist of the situation.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:40 am »
Hello!

Just an update.  I tried applying to Boston University, during my application process.  Whatever program they used to have for stage management no longer exists but a certification program for it will be in place by around 2010-11, I was told.  So we might want to update the list, as I got my grad school info. from here.

Also, and this may be older info. as well, but Wayne State seems to be a program dedicated to Stage Management, so why is it listed as a specialization? What is the criteria there?
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:38 pm »
How about schools that have good Performance Studies MA/AM/PH.D programs? Does anyone know?

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2009, 12:57 pm »
Anyone attend any of these programs?  I'd love to hear some feedback about the quality and everything.

Theatre_Junkie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2009, 09:13 pm »
I attend the Carnegie Mellon School of Drama.  What are you interested in knowing?

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2009, 01:20 pm »
What do you think of the program? 

For someone that has been doing this for about 8 years already, would there be something more to learn? 

Is there the ability to Teach as a Grad student? 

What is the work like? 

What types of productions does the college do to help prepare the students?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2009, 06:27 pm »
Digga . . . I went to grad school about 9 years after I stage managed my first show professionally at UCSD.

I think there is always something to learn in the field.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2009, 03:16 pm »
Digga . . . I went to grad school about 9 years after I stage managed my first show professionally at UCSD.

I think there is always something to learn in the field.
Does that mean you went to UCSD or was that the 1st show you did professionally? 

Either way, I think you're right in that there is always something to learn.  Thanks.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2009, 03:38 pm »
9 years after I stage managed my first show professionaly I made the decision to go back to grad school, so I was still early career, but far enough down I was getting jobs.  It was nice to make a break in my professional career.

riotous