Author Topic: Compilation of grad schools  (Read 39498 times)

MoLeaSM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Compilation of grad schools
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2013, 11:01 am »
As I'm in the process of trying to find schools to apply to, this is incredibly helpful! I'd looked online and hadn't found a lot of the ones which have been talked about. Including Virginia Tech, and I'm currently living in Virginia and doing my undergrad.

One school which has not been listed is the University of Missouri-Kansas City. I don't know much about the school, but the program looks good.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #31 on: Oct 05, 2013, 11:39 am »
One school which has not been listed is the University of Missouri-Kansas City. I don't know much about the school, but the program looks good.

My brother went to UMKC for their undergrad dance program and I looked into the SM grad program. You get to work directly with KC Rep which has a stage in residence at the university so that was a really high point. Everyone I met with was really encouraging as well.

I ended up choosing not to go to grad school at all, but it seemed like a good program- there are a lot of real world opportunities there, and a good small theatre scene in the city.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2013, 07:30 pm »
UMKC is about to go through some change with their program.  The current head of the stage management program is set to retire at the end of the year, which may be something to consider (it can sometimes be tough to be in one of the classes that are there during the transition years between old and new faculty members).

I did graduate from the MFA program there (class of 2006), and greatly enjoyed my time in Kansas City.  The relationship between the department and the KC Rep has improved greatly over the past few years, and they also have very strong relationships with some of the smaller companies in KC as well.  I'd be more than happy to answer further specifics if anybody is interested (though it comes with the disclaimer that I have indeed been gone for seven years now).

riotous