Author Topic: college feedback  (Read 6298 times)

aquadrama

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Adelphi University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
college feedback
« on: Dec 02, 2007, 03:36 pm »
I have finally finished all my apps. to college and all my interviews. I'd love to visit all the schools, but I don't think that will be financially possible. So I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a few schools. I'm wondering about Adelphi, University of Cincinnati, and University of Evansville. Thanks for any feedback!

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: college feedback
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007, 11:23 pm »
I have finally finished all my apps. to college and all my interviews. I'd love to visit all the schools, but I don't think that will be financially possible. So I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a few schools. I'm wondering about Adelphi, University of Cincinnati, and University of Evansville. Thanks for any feedback!

Why would you consider Adelphi over Hofstra?

aquadrama

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Adelphi University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2007, 11:36 pm »

Why would you consider Adelphi over Hofstra?

Because I'd never heard of Hofstra until you mentioned it. Can you tell me more about the program?

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:28 pm »
I can speak for Adelphi! :)

I'm part of the class of '08 in the design tech department and even with all the ups and downs I've faced here, I'm glad I didn't go anywhere else. In my four years here the entire department has changed (some for the better, some changes I won't see) the BIGGEST draw is that our new performing arts center will open in fall of 2008, and it's going to be gorgeous. There will be at least a half dozen new positions in the department and for the first time ever, the performing arts of tech acting and dance will all be together in the same building.

The staff and faculty here are amazing professionals who I feel blessed to have worked with the last few years of my life and know will continue to be contacts in the future. It's a program that's grown SO much since I've began here (when I started there was about 15 people in the department, we're now at nearly 30 with the largest graduating class of 9 this year :) )

The campus is gorgeous, and you're only a 45min ride from Manhattan.

As far as Stage Management goes it does leave some things to be desired, currently in the curriculum there is only one SM class that is required for all acting and tech majors, but they bring in an AEA stage manager to teach it and mentor you if you desire. I've had a lot of experience doing campus shows and through the faculty have gotten all my professional work to date.

Outside of the theater department there is plenty to keep your mind sharp, I'm part of the Honors college and it has been great and challenging.

If you have any other questions, let me know or email me at nomierae AT gmail DOT com

--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2007, 12:47 am »
I almost applied to Adelphi but I didn't want to stay that close to home. I went to SUNY Purchase and got not only a conservatory but a cheaper school! Check it out. 35min to NYC. All working professionals. BFA. And I have heard mixed things about Hofstra but nothings been that bad. The only SM I knew from there was a huge jerk and not very good at what he did but that does NOT speak for their program, he was just probably born that way. The good things I heard about hofstra were GREAT and the bad things weren't that bad except that the campus isn't safe.

I can explain more about all Hofstra and SUNY Purchase if you PM me.
-C-

slinky5289

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2008, 10:53 am »
the only school on your list that i am at all familiar with is evansville. I applied there but they were one of the first ones crossed off my list so to speak. For me it was because they didn't make a good first impression (the department head especially came across as very arrogant - among other things) But that could have just been  me. What impression did you get of the school?

riotous