Author Topic: Apprenticeships  (Read 12825 times)

vap12

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Apprenticeships
« on: Dec 07, 2006, 04:19 pm »
I'm a senior in college and looking for an apprenticeship program for next year. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Apprenticeships
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2006, 06:49 pm »
Try Goodspeed Musicals.  They have a great apprentice/ intern program.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:04 pm »
I would recommend the one I oversee at the Shakespeare Theatre Company, but, tell us more what you want out of the internship, what are your goals, dreams, aspiration . . . hard to give recommendations since each is a different fit.  (Do you need some money, no money, housing, etc . . . )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2006, 12:08 am »
If you go on a search engine, like Google or Yahoo, and type in Stage Management Internships/Apprenticeships, several different links from different theatre companies will pop up.  This is how I found all of my options for summer internships.  If you are in school, I also recommend speaking to your teachers/professors - sometimes they have worked with different companies and can maybe help you out with ideas or even a recommendation.  Shakespearean Companies are highly prominent.  Make sure that you really look at what each company has to offer before you apply.  Some give housing and pay; others do not.  Think about what you are able to do financially, how far you are willing to travel, and what companies fit you best. 
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:34 am »
People's Light and Theatre in Malvern, PA is looking for 2 SM apprentices actually beginning in February. The pay is low ($150 a week) but they house and give you health insurance. I worked there for 4 years and definitely made due with the salary. It's a great place, and it's a LORT theatre.

www.peopleslight.org or PM me for more info.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

xoxo123

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:17 am »
If you are interested in opera stage management , there is an apprenticeship at the San Diego Opera from December to May. I don't know if they have anyone yet for Dec. 2007.

Dre2387

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Girl From Nashville, EBE Ensemble, NYC
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:54 pm »
The Shakespeare Theatre of Nj has a lot of internships during the summer for every field and needs at least 4 SMs per summer.  maybe more.  and if you can stay on for longer, they would love you.  Its a non-paid internship but housing availible for a small fee.  What you would do is be ASM on the shows and have seminars on sundays (not every sunday).  i did props internship last year there and applying for SM internship.  It is a great place, and you get a lot of contacts.
Andrea

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:51 am »
I did an internship at Trinity Rep the year after I graduated from college, and enjoyed it.  The internships go from August to May or June, generally, and the intern usually gets to work in both the LORT B and LORT D spaces.  The stipend is rather small $75 a week, but housing is provided a few miles away from the theater.  I managed to make do, and gained a lot of experience and good contacts. 

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:38 pm »
Lot of spacec in Chicago theatres...check out the listings on chicagoplays.com
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:34 pm »
I'm doing a job with TriArts this summer in Connecticut... I know that they offer internships.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Matt.L

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:21 pm »
The ROH in covent garden do a good course

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:58 pm »
It all depends: do you want housing included, assisted housing, a minimum pay per week...and what area of the country? There's a lot of factors to consider.

Right after high school I decided on North Shore Music Theatre near Boston. It was a gutsy move since I was in Phoenix at the time...I'm glad I was too naive to realize how crazy I was being. It paid $200 a week (I think, it's been a long time) but they assisted in setting me up with housing that was $75/week for a room and common area. They also rely heavily on interns--other than the staff everyone else was an intern. But you work with great directors, make excellent contacts and their shows are superb! And experience working in the round is almost a rarity.

allenah

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:55 pm »
Every district has some version of a theatre conference (my state is in South Eastern Theatre Conference).  These groups have annual conferences with job postings for permanent and internship type positions.  You could start there; then, you'd get to interview with numerous companies and see what all was out there
Theatre is nothing if not spontaneous.The novel can be put away, taken up, reread.Not theatre.It keeps slipping between one's fingers.Its permanent features such as scenery, script, etc. are not more theatre than two poles of a generator are electricity.

Dre2387

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Girl From Nashville, EBE Ensemble, NYC
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2007, 02:05 pm »
It is a good place but they do rely on (read: overwork) the interns when they should have more Equity ASMs.

I'm not sure how much the SM interns work at STNJ (but I'll find out this summer!), and though they could hire Equity ASMs, an intern can learn a lot there and also get points towards EMC.  And as an intern, you should expect to do a lot of work.
Andrea

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2007, 07:42 pm »
Try Maine State Music Theatre

www.msmt.org

Great program.
John Murdock