Author Topic: apprenticeships  (Read 5469 times)

emyru

• Tourist
    • View Profile
apprenticeships
« on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:40 pm »
OK, so I've started looking up apprenticeships, but I need some help. I'm not sure where to look! I just started, so I began with a simple Google search. I was surprised by how much I found, but would like to continue to look in other ways, obviously. How would you suggest looking? (Preferably a free/cheaper route, I am still a student)

Also, I do not have much real preference as to where I'm living, but I do have some specific curiousity about the Valencia, CA area. Anyone have any info?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: apprenticeships
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2006, 04:05 pm »
Why Valencia?

OK - the thing to keep in mind is, Valencia is HOT HOT HOT - and dry -

and depending on where you need to be, it's a long way in heavy traffic most of the time

other than that, Mrs Lincoln....

of course, if you are attending College of the Canyons or CalArts, that's a different story - but the students there often live off the 14, where it's a little cheaper.

nmno

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2006, 09:38 pm »
I also reiterate the question: Why Valencia?  Is there some specific reason... 

Since you are a student, I'd suggest first checking thru your university department.  At the LEAST, they should have a subscription to Artsearch that you can look at but I would think that they'd have more than that.

If you have an idea of WHERE you want to be, you can get a theatre directory (TCG has one, should be in your theatre department, I've found them at B&N) find theatres in the area and send them a letter.  If you are looking in a large area (ie. "Los Angeles") this might be too big a net to cast.

Do you know what kind of apprenticeship/internship you want? How long - a show or a whole season? Paid or unpaid?  What are you looking to get out of it? Is there a reason you don't want to jump in an apply for PA positions?

Let us know a little more specifically what you are looking for and we might be able to help point you in the right direction.

emyru

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2006, 12:35 pm »
Why Valencia? The curiosity stems from a slightly silly reason. My boyfriend is going to CalArts in the fall, and I told him I would not move anywhere unless I had a job. He agrees. So, it was more of a what exists question, just to see what was out there. I didn't want to instantly rule it out. (and the hot doesn't bother me so much. My body doesn't like the cold.)

My advisor at school told me that we should look for apprenticeships. What else do you recommend? I feel like I'm trying to find something in the dark.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2006, 02:46 pm »
Well, as to Valencia....What's out there are the colleges - and students to fill those apprentice holes. BUT, just in case, what kind of apprenticeship are you seeking, and what skills do you have to offer? There is work - Magic Mountain is there, and they are always looking for employees on every level. It's pretty far to commute to LA, but if you can go the other direction from traffic, there are some little community theaters in Lancaster/Palmdale (in one direction) and Burbank/Glendale (in the other). And where are you coming FROM that heat doesn't bother you - trust me, desert heat is beyond enervating, along the lines of what a really humid East Coast summer does to your system.

Either way, break a leg...

riotous