Author Topic: Applying to an MFA program with little undergrad experience?  (Read 7190 times)

colorfulair

• Tourist
    • View Profile
I want to apply some program in SM,but my undergraduate and graduate major had nothing to do with this area except organizing some school shows.There were merely six hundred people in the biggest show I participated as an role relating to stage management,so to some extent I dont have any professional experiences.As far as my situation,is it possible to apply for a MFA program ????
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008, 01:53 pm by zayit shachor »

ewharton

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: need your information
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:20 pm »
I'm in the MFA program at Rutgers in New Jersey. My undergraduate degree had nothing to do with theater (theoretical mathematics, in fact, don't ask). I took three years off between undergrad and grad. During that time I worked on some small non-equity shows around Boston.

I do think that you can apply (it never hurts to apply) but you should be aware that some schools may tell you to try to get some more experience first.

best of luck.

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Applying to an MFA program with little undergrad experience?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:55 pm »
yes, yes, yes, it is possible. 

I have a sociology degree and only happened into theatre.  I have worked in theatre 6 years since graduating undergrad, the majority of which was not even in stage management.

I would say call up the programs you are interested in.  Send them your resume.  Chat.  See if you think you'd be a good fit.  Definitely apply.  As Emily says, they might not take you immediately but you should try.

I'm also at Rutgers.  Very few people I know here have undergrad degrees in theatre. 

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Applying to an MFA program with little undergrad experience?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2008, 09:01 am »
On the other hand, you don't want TOO much experience...because then they'll wonder why you're going back to school when you're already out there working.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

riotous