Author Topic: Stage Managers Are Survivors!  (Read 3727 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Stage Managers Are Survivors!
« on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:59 am »
I am recovering from quadruple heart surgery, and I owe much of my 'will to survive' to being strong on the job in the wide world of technical theater.

Hello fellow SM's and belated holiday wishes. There I was, prone on the bed in the operating room, trying to call cues during my heart procedure. (Give me more oxygen, bring up the IV special, heavy breathing sound effect now, etc..) All kidding aside, I am paying for 20 years of late night diner food, abnormal sleep cycle and plenty of job-related stress. But the good thing is that there are no surprises in our business,just challenges. I cast the doctors and nurses in my mind over the week that I was in bed, from "Nurse Grumpy" to "Doctor Jogging Pants". Plus, it was easier to learn the nightly visits for medicine and blood pressure checks because it was just like a script- "Cue 21-the nurse comes at 2:00 AM with your Tylenol pills." Stage managers are a tough breed, and I will recover over the next few months. In the meantime, the motto is "no pain, no gain" for the most important production I've ever worked on-my REAL LIFE!

-Rich Abrams (stageman7, written several years ago!)
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007, 12:58 am by PSMKay »

riotous